View the Reuse Directory (PDF) for ideas on how to reuse materials in Allegany County. For more ideas on responsible waste management, check out the following information.
Reduce - prevent waste
The most effective way to reduce waste is to not create it in the first place, this is called source reduction. Making a new product requires a lot of materials and energy - raw materials must be extracted from the earth, and the product must be fabricated then transported to wherever it will be sold.
Taking steps to reduce, impedes an item's entry into the waste stream - to be recycled, composted, incinerated, landfills.
- Save money, buy less
- Avoid packaging
- Allow products to be used to their fullest extent
Over the last few decades, the generation, recycling, composting ,and disposal of *MSW has changed substantially. While solid waste generation has increased, from 3.66 to 5.98 pounds per person per day between 1980 and 2014, the recycling rate has also increased from less than 10 percent of *MSW generated in 1980 to over 43.5 percent in 2015 in Maryland.
Source: Solid Waste Recycling in Maryland (PDF)
Reuse - better than Recycling
This Reuse Directory (PDF) can help you locate where to donate good used items that would otherwise end up in the landfill. Remember, yard sales, pawn shops, classified ads, auctions and antique stores are also good sources for buying or selling reusable items.
Fill out the Update Form (PDF), to place your business or organization in the Reuse Directory (must be located in Allegany County, MD)
- Prevent usable goods from going into landfills
- Helps your community and those in need
- Tax benefits may be available
- Remember, yard sales, pawn shops, classified ads, auctions, and antique stores are also good sources for buying or selling reusable items.
Try these small steps
- Buy used, its often less expensive
- Take a reusable mug to work
- Use rechargeable batteries
- Reuse bags, bottles, & jars
- Purchase refillable printer cartridges, pens, & pencils
- Use the back of one-sided copy paper as note pads or print duplex
- Buy reusable over disposable items
- Consider cloth diapers
- Use cloth napkins and silverware at meal times
- Take reusable bags to the market
- Purchase serviceable appliances
- Repair clothing & other items
- Stop the junk mail, be removed from mailing lists
- Reduce toxicity, use natural and/or homemade cleaning products
- Request electronic bills and statements
- Compost food waste in your backyard
Recycle - when you can
When you've done all you can do to avoid waste, recycle. Producing goods from recycled materials typically consumes less energy and conserves raw materials.
In Allegany County you can recycle:
- Aluminum and steel cans
- No. 1 and No. 2 plastic bottles and jugs
- Office paper
- Oil and Antifreeze
- Yard waste
Special recycling events are held for tires, household hazardous waste, and electronics.
Mulch & Yard Waste
The Allegany County Mulch and Yard Waste Recycling Site at 11700 PPG Road in Cumberland, Maryland accepts grass, leaves and limbs (no larger than 4 inches in diameter). Please do not bring stumps, roots, rubble, demolition, railroad ties or garbage. Free mulch may be removed at no charge, no guarantee on quality or quantity.