- Emergency Services
The Department of Emergency Services strives to achieve and sustain core capabilities in support of emergency communications, preparedness, response and recovery initiatives. Our mission is to provide critical emergency services to our residents and visitors, which includes:
- Emergency Management
- Emergency Medical Services
- Interoperable Radio Communications
- 911 Joint Communications Center
- Public Education and Outreach
- Technical Rescue / Hazardous Materials Incident Response
Our Community, Our Responsibility
As a Department, we will:
- Strive to enhance the knowledge, preparedness and vigilance of the public, our employees and allied agencies through continued education, training and information sharing.
- Increase the use of technology to provide improved readiness, warning, response and recovery from emergencies and disasters.
- Foster cooperation between service providers, citizens and our department to achieve the common goal of protection of life and property.
Volunteer Fire & EMS Organizations
View the full Fire and Ambulance Company List (PDF) here.
Emergency personnel receive training provided by the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute and the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council. Personnel are certified through the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services System.
In addition to the County Department of Emergency Services and local volunteer fire and ambulance companies, our area is served by the Maryland State Police medical helicopter, Trooper 5, stationed at the Cumberland Regional Airport in nearby Wiley Ford, WV. Western Maryland Regional Medical Center is the designated area wide trauma center, located at 12500 Willowbrook Road, Cumberland, MD.