Passenger Rules & Etiquette
While on Board
- Allow all passengers to exit the vehicle before you attempt to board.
- Have your fare ready.
- Please do not talk to the driver while the bus is in service, and remain seated while the bus is in motion.
- Safety is an Allegany County Transit (ACT) priority.
- Seatbelts are required on all passengers while riding ACT vehicles!
- Specialized seating area behind the driver must be made available to the elderly and disabled.
Exiting the Vehicle
- Wait until the bus comes to a complete stop before removing your seat belt and moving about the vehicle.
- You may exit to the front of the vehicle.
General Rules & Etiquette
- Audio Devices: Passengers may not play an audio device unless using a headset and keeping the volume low so that others are not disturbed.
- Bicycles: Folding bicycles are allowed on ACT vehicles. As with pet carriers, folding bicycles cannot take up seating space or obstruct the aisle. It must be carried on and restrained by the passenger.
- Cell Phones: Cell phone conversations must be kept at a low, private volume as to not disturb other passengers or the driver.
- Children: Children under age 12 must be accompanied by an adult. Age 5 and under ride at no charge.
- Dangerous Passengers: A driver may refuse to transport a passenger(s) who appear(s) to be under the influence of alcohol, illegal or dangerous substances, or whose behavior or language appears abusive, threatening, offensive, disorderly or dangerous to him, the driver, or other passengers. The driver may refuse transport at any point either prior to boarding or during a trip.
- Fare: Passengers must pay the fare upon boarding the vehicle. Drivers do not carry change.
- Language and Behavior: Abusive or offensive language or behavior is not permitted on the ACT vehicles or property. Interfering with a transit driver is against the law.
- Packages: Passengers shall not carry articles onto a transit vehicle which cannot be held or secured by the passenger. Passengers shall not place articles in the aisles of the ACT vehicle. Alltrans has a three-package limit.
- Prohibited Substances and Objects: For the comfort of all passengers, smoking or chew tobacco, eating, drinking, and using illegal substances in ACT vehicles are prohibited. Weapons of any kind are not permitted on transit vehicles.
- Seat Belts: Seat belts are required for all passengers.
- Service Animals and Pets: Service animals, which have been trained to perform a specific task/service, are permitted on board transit vehicles.
- Small pets, in carriers designed and manufactured for pet transport, are allowed on board at no additional cost. The carrier cannot take up seating or obstruct the aisle and must be able to be carried on by the passenger. Animals at-large or on a leash or harness (other than service dogs) are not allowed.
- ACT reserves the right to require any passenger with an animal that acts aggressively or poses a threat to others to exit immediately at a safe location.
- Socializing with the Driver: Passengers may not socialize with the driver while the bus is in service. The driver's attention must be on safe driving.
- Strollers: Strollers are permitted on transit vehicles only if folded. Please fold the stroller before boarding and carry your child on the bus. Blocking the aisles of ACT vehicles is prohibited.